Pages

Roland Garros (French Open 2007)

After the Masters Series Cup in Hamburg, Germany, another major event for tennis had started last May 27, 2007 and it's the Roland Garros or popularly known as the French Open 2007. Different tennis players, both men and women, having different nationalities had come together to battle for the same reason: To grab this grand slam title this year from the defending champions Rafael Nadal (Spain) for men and Justine Henin (Belgium) for women.

What is Roland Garros by the way?

Well, let me give you a bit of it's history...

Officially the "Tournoi de Roland-Garros" (the "Roland Garros Tournament" in English), the tournament is often referred to as the French Open. It is named after its stadium, which is in turn named after the World War 1 pilot.

The French Open began as a national tournament in 1891. In 1925, the French Championships opened itself to international competitors with the event held on a grass surface alternatively between the Racing Club de France and the Stade Français.

For the 1928 Davis Cup challenge, a new tennis stadium was built at Porte d’Auteuil.

Named for a hero of World War 1, the new Stade de Roland Garros, and Court Philippe Chatrier, was built with a red clay ("terre battue") playing surface.


Back to present:

During the opening day in Paris, France things haven't turned out smoothly for rains and a cold weather had welcomed the players as well as their spectators...this continued upto the 2nd and 3rd day.
Anyway, by this time everything's okei now! Lucky players who won had advanced to the quarterfinals while others went home and accepted their bitter defeat. Good thing Roger Federer is still hanging on and is continuing his winning streak in clay! Let me share to you some bits about his games! (.^__^.)




May 29, 2007 Round of 128: A CLEAR START
Roger was able to finish his match against Michael Russell (ATP 68) today after play was suspended because of rain yesterday. He wrapped up a straight-sets first-round win over the American: 6-4, 6-2, 6-4.
Resuming second up on a sun-kissed Philippe Chatrier today, Roger - aiming for a first title at Roland Garros - was in just as clinical mood. And he was happy with the way he played in his opening match this year. “I was in a comfortable position going into today, so that was a good situation to be in,” he said.
“I played okay I thought. I served well. I didn't get much chance on his serve, and from the baseline I played well when I had to. So it was a good opening match for me.”

Roger will now face Frenchman Thierry Ascione (ATP 168) in the second round.
May 30, 2007 Round of 64: ROGER CRUISES INTO ROUND 3
Roger celebrated a clear victory over Frenchman Thierry Ascione in the evening of the second round at the French Open today.
He prevailed 6-1, 6-2, 7-6 (10-8) in the day's last game on Suzanne Lenglen court. Our champ broke Ascione (ATP 168) twice in the first set, in the second and fourth games, and twice again early in the second set to establish a firm grip on the contest with just 48 minutes played.
The third set, which lasted more than an hour, was not quite as straightforward for Roger, who was broken when serving at 5-4 up, having squandered two match points in that game.
Our star will play Italy's Potito Starace in the third round.
June 1, 2007: ROGER ROLLS ON round of 32
Roger sprinted through to the last 16 today, polishing off Italy's Potito Starace in only 91 minutes with a 6-2, 6-3, 6-0 rout. "It's hard to judge if I'm getting better because the conditions were really difficult for me in the first two rounds," Roger said.

“I'm happy I haven't lost a set. It came naturally today, especially in the third set. I was playing well, my serve was working well."
Roger will next meet Russia's Mikhail Youzhny, who has not won a match in nine all-time tries against our No. 1, including losses this year at the Australian Open and in the final at Dubai.
"He's an excellent player and he usually plays better against the better players," Roger said of Youzhny.
Of course Roger is also dreaming of the final – against Rafa Nadal.
“That would be a dream of us all, that final,” he commented.
“I’d say it is an advantage that I’ve now defeated him on all surfaces. But the final is still far away.”



June 3, 2007 - Round of 16: STILL TO DROP A SET!
Roger matched John McEnroe's record streak of 11 straight-set wins in Grand Slam matches by beating Mikhail Youzhny 7-6 6-4 6-4 to reach the French Open quarter-finals today.
John McEnroe had set the best mark in the Open era in 1984 from the second round at Wimbledon through to the U.S. Open quarter-finals.

It was not easy. But I stayed totally calm,” Roger commented and added: “I don’t know why, but the fans here are supporting me in a great way”.
Roger turned on the style after a sluggish start today to extend to 10-0 his perfect record against Russia's Youzhny, seeded 13th here.
"He's dangerous on every surface, he moves well, and I knew I had to be careful. He challenged me at first and I had to stay calm and react, which I did. I'm pleased with my match,” Roger said after the encounter, lasting two hours and 25 minutes.

He next meets Spaniard Tommy Robredo, seeded ninth. Roger clearly leads the head-to-head 7-0. He also beat Robredo on his way to the Australian Open title 2007.
Rafael Nadal will play his next round against Lleyton Hewitt – certainly a match to look forward to – on Monday.



Loves the blue shirt so much! (.^__^.)
Go Roger! =D

0 comments: