Pages

ATP - ROGER WINS OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL!





Roger made up for the disappointment of missing out in the singles
by winning his first Olympic gold medal
as he teamed up with
Stanislas Wawrinka to claim the doubles title on Saturday.
The Swiss pair beat Simon Aspelin and Thomas Johansson
of Sweden 6-3, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3.



Against Johansson and Aspelin, Roger's thumping groundstrokes
and Stan's impressive backhand gave the Swiss the early advantage.
After winning the first set,
they soon broke to lead 3-1 in the second
before the Swedes responded.
It took a tie-break, which Johansson and Aspelin won,
to decide the third set.
A brilliant reaction volley from Roger helped break Aspelin
again at the start of the fourth set, our star eventually serving out the match.


"It is like a fantastic dream comes true, I feel really happy to win the gold medal.
It is great, I enjoy that," said Roger in the mixed zone.
"I have tried for several times to get a medal, and I came really close to the medal in Sydney where I finished fourth.
Since then I can't stop thinking that If I am the best player in the world,
I should do the same in the Olympics, and then finally I made it,
it is really special also because it is for Switzerland,
you know, our country can not get so many medals at one Olympics,
maybe one or two, but this time I got a gold medal,
it is for my country, I really feel different, as it is for my country,
it is different from the Grand Sam where I did it for just myself."

At the medals ceremony, when they played the Swiss national anthem and Roger and Stan stood on the highest platform, both were clearly on the edge of tears.



MORE PICS:





Sometimes, I just wished I was Stan.. (.^__^.)
It is such a joy to see that Roger (and the Swiss Team) won GOLD.
They beat the no.1 doubles team..
It's their first time to enter a doubles competition together...
And to win an Olympic Medal and me seeing it live on TV is double happiness!
I've said this for the millionth time.. still
FedRinka is the BEST!


0 comments: