Pages

Dear Diary from a Tennis fan: Wimbledon '08

Why do my life as a Roger Federer and Tennis fan have to be this way..
Only 2 years of fun and excitement
...and then will be abruptly followed by sadness and tons of disappointment.
How can that be?
I'm so down-heartened.
Why didn't I continue watching tennis the first time when I saw Martina Hingis play during that orange clay court tournament (which happens to be the French Open).
My Mom say that I'm still young that time so tennis is not yet in my mind back then.
Still, not acceptable!
Yeah, I know.. this is my destiny.

Sometimes, I do blame myself why did I become such a big fan of tennis.
(the blaming part happened again last night..)
What's with tennis ba?
(C'mon Marielle, tell me!)
As far as I am concerned, I became interested more with tennis when I saw Maria Sharapova play during the Aussie Open.
I'm quite fascinated with how Masha looks both on and off court so that made the official start.
But that is not the main reason.
It's because of Roger Federer.
It may sound funny to others but Roger is the best sports icon I've ever seen in any sporting event.
It may not be his physical appearance (though at first that was the main factor.. :p)
But I would rather say, his attitude and sportsmanship that he has exemplified from the time I've seen his win or lost at any given tennis tournament.
That made him REAL special above anyone else.

So, what's the reason for all those consoling words I've written above.
It's because of the Wimbledon finals that had happened just last night.
You may have noticed (which I doubt if not) that almost all of my blog posts recently is about Roger's Wimbledon matches for 2 weeks.
Amazing performance, right?!
He did well, and proved to anybody else that all those gossips that he is already in the decline stage are not true.
And then here goes the finals.
Roger Rafa Wimbledon Finals Showdown for the 3rd consecutive year.
The one I'm not dreading but quite unsure about.
After that French Open devastating loss of Roger, I don't want them to meet again on another grand slam finals as much as possible.
But, what can I do?
Both the no.1 and no.2 are great players!

The game started at past 9pm. That rain delay is sure irritating.
Good thing, there will be a retractable roof in Centre Court next year in order to avoid delays and game suspensions.
Seeing Roger coming out of the court is a pleasure to me.
Him making another history is, indeed, worthy of praise.
And me, be given an opportunity to witness it live in our television is a blessing.

1st set - Nadal won 6-4
2nd set - Nadal won 6-4

Okei, this is the end of it, i thought!
Roger will lose in straight sets in his home and favorite grand slam tournament.

That is really hard to accept.

And then there's a rain delay.
I've prepared myself that any time from now, Roger will lose and end his dominance for 5 years.
You know, I'm not a pessimist or whatever you call it.. I'm just looking at what reality is showing to me, face to face, and accept it at the easiest way possible.
Then, I realized..
Why Can't I Love these 2 players both.
That had always been a mystery for me.

It's around 1am and game had started once again.
Roger bounced back... he won the 3rd set in a tie break.
And won again the 4th set in another tie break.
Oh my, I wonder what Mirka (Roger's girlfriend) mentioned to him during the rain delay in his locker room.
That words of Mirka made a boost on Roger's confidence.

And then here comes another rain delay at around 3am.
Score at 2 sets all, 2 games all and 40-40 (duece)
What a great way for rain to spoil another game momentum.
I decided to sleep for 40 minutes and
then when I woke up, I saw that score is already up at 4-3.
Damn! I slept that much...

Here comes the tie break again.
Actually it is not called a tie break because there isn't a tie-breaker for the 5th set.
Both players must score twice more than his opponent.
So, for example the score is 6-6, the winning players must have an advantage of 8-6 in order to win the match.
There isn't any limitations... 20-18 score doesn't matter.
As long as you win the game with twice advantage, that will make the catch.
Time check, 4am!
I can't believe that I've stayed this long.

After 20 minutes, Rafa won at 7-9.

That really hurts!
I was like expecting that Roger will still win this match because of what he did during the 3rd and 4th set.
I was like preparing myself to say to this blog right at that very moment that Roger still won!
But all of them were crushed by that shocking net ball of Roger that made Rafa collapse on the other side of the net and rejoice for his 1st Wimbly title.

Both of them were chasing history.
Both of them were great.
Both of them deserve the title.
But in the end of the day, only one will be handed the title.

Bad thing, it isn't Roger this time.

If you can just see how sad Roger looked after that error and while everybody, especially the Spanish crowd, is rejoicing of how there Spanish boy ended the reign of the Swiss king on grass.
That is a touchy part.
And then seeing that a new man has the trophy in his hands is a bitter scene to look at.
I cannot take it much more than I can.

Roger lost this one, but I know he'll be back.
Doesn't matter when or where or how.
Just be looking forward for the next title he can win.
Doesn't matter when or where or how.
I'll be on Federer's side till he retires!
yeah, that's the spirit!
(.^__^.)



0 comments: